Red Mullet, Sun dried tomato and Basil Fishcakes
Beautifully Summery Fishcakes
Makes 8 Fishcakes
For the Fishcakes:
400g red mullet fillets boned, skin on
800g peeled potatoes, 2 shallots chopped
100g pre sun dried tomatoes (soaked or marinated in oil) chopped, 50g butter
Small bunch fresh basil chopped
For the flour, egg wash, breadcrumb coating:
100g plain flour
2 eggs beaten with a little water
100g freshly made breadcrumbs
Olive oil for shallow frying, sea salt and black pepper
- Boil and mash the potatoes.
- Gently fry the shallots in melted butter until softened.
- Fold the red mullet fillets into the shallots, cover the pan & fry/steam until just cooked.
- Take the mullet and shallot mixture out with a slotted spoon and reduce down the remaining juices until only the enriched butter is remaining.
- Mix the mullet and shallot mixture, reduced butter, sun dried tomatoes and basil with the mashed potato and check seasoning.
- Mould into 8 round, evenly sized, cakes.
- Lightly flour the fishcakes, brush with the egg wash and, finally, press them into the breadcrumbs. Put them in a refrigerator to set for at least 2 hrs or leave overnight.
- Shallow fry in olive oil for around 4/5minutes each side until golden brown.