Breton Style Bouillabaisse with Chargrilled Fennel
An interesting twist on the classic bouillabaisse.
Servers 4 People.
500gms monkfish (Flesh from the tail) and Fillets of Mackerel & Gurnard
10 Mussels - Green Lipped or Fresh
100gms Prawns -peeled
100gms Prawns - Shells on
275ml Fish Stock
1 medium onion - finely sliced
4 cloves garlic - crushed
4 Celery Sticks - Chopped
60ml Olive Oil
2tbs parsley -freshly chopped
1½ Fennel Bulbs
Sea Salt & Freshly crushed pepper
- Heat the oil and fry the onion, celery, garlic & the half of the fennel until they start turning brown, then add the pernod and reduce the mixture down slightly.
- Add the monkfish flesh together with both the prawns and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the fish stock bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 15 mins.
- Add the mussels, mackerel and gurnard fillets with the parsley, check the seasoning and cook gently for 5 mins.
- Prepare the chargrilled fennel by cutting the bulb into 8 segments, brush with oil, season and chargrill or (if you haven’t a chargriller) either dry fry or grill the fennel until brown.
- Serve in a deep bowls with the chargrilled fennel on top accompanied either by crusty bread or new potatoes.